|Day and Time
17.10. + 20.10.
(no lecture on 24.+27.10.)
07.11. + 10.11.
14.11. + 17.11.
21.11. + 24.11.
The following dates are subject to change!
First tutorial session: 05.12.
- Please join the ISIS course . Any further material can be found there.
- A registration is not required to attend the lecture.
The lecture part covers the theoretic foundations and technologies of Cloud Computing, dealing with Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) from the perspectives of both cloud providers and users. The first part of the lecture takes the perspective of a cloud provider and deals with the operation of a virtualized data center. It also takes a look at the different abstraction layers that can be used to realize cloud services. Based on this, the second part of the lecture covers Cloud Computing from the user perspective. In particular, it deals with how PaaS services, e.g. middleware and key-value datastores, can be used to create scalable and fault-tolerant applications. The third part focuses on programming models and systems for data-intensive applications (also known as Big Data), covering the popular frameworks Apache Hadoop and Apache Flink (formerly Stratosphere, developed at TU-Berlin). The lecture is based on recent publications from research conferences and journals.
The tutorial sessions complement the lecture by building up working knowledge in the concrete usage of cloud services of leading providers such as Amazon AWS and wide-spread open source software such as OpenStack.
The tutorial sessions cover three assignments. Each assignment starts with an introductory tutorial session, has a duration of two weeks and ends with a discussion or demo session. Assignments will be solved by teams of 3-4 students.
Each assignment is graded separately and together the assignments account for 40% of the final grade. The written exam accounts for the remaining 60%.
All course materials (lecture and tutorial slides, assignments, literature, ...) can be obtained via the ISIS course.
Cloud Computing Module
- This course is a "Integrierte Lehrveranstaltung" with 4 SWS (6 ECTS/LP)
- This course is part of the module Cloud Computing  which
is creditable to students of:
- Master Informatik as a compulsory elective module in "Kommunikationsbasierte Systeme"
- Master Technische Informatik as a compulsory elective module in "Informationssysteme"
- Master Wirtschaftsinformatik as a compulsory elective module in "Informations- und Kommunikationssysteme (IKT)"
- Master Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen as a compulsory elective module in "Informations- und Kommunikationssysteme (IKT)"
- Master ICT Innovation as a compulsory elective module.
There are no formal requirements to taking this course. With regards to content, this course assumes knowledge from the module "Distributed Systems" and the mandatory courses from Bachelor Informatik/Technische Informatik (semesters 1-4).
There will be an written exam at the end of the semester. The final grade is determined by the exam grade (60%) and the combined grades of the tutorial assignments (40%).
- K.P. Birman: Guide to Reliable Distributed Systems, Springer-Verlang, 2012
- J.E. Smith, R. Nair: Virtual Machines - Versatile Platforms for Systems and Processes, Elsevier, 2005
- C. Baun, M. Kunze, J. Nimis, S. Tai: Cloud Computing - Web-basierte dynamische IT-Services, Springer-Verlag, 2012
- T. White: Hadoop - The Definite Guide, O'Reilly, 2009
- S. Krishnan: Programming Windows Azure: Programming the Microsoft Cloud, O'Reilly, 2010