|Service talk: scientific writing
|Hand in concept (by email)||by
|Hand in slides (by email)||by
|Student presentations||around mid of |
|Hand in essay/paper (by
email)||around mid of |
- Registration for this seminar is
required (capacity: 12)
- Registration has to be done via email to Andeas Kliem
- Registration should include: full name, matriculation number, study course, and if you are trying to register for the BSc or the MSc OCITS seminar
- Each registration will be confirmed
- Registration is possible starting 01.10.2015 at 9am
- Any registration before this date will be ignored
- Places in the seminar will be assigned by "first come, first served"
- Seminar topics will be presented and assigned during the Kickoff meeting
- The slides from the Kickoff meeting will be published here: slides 
Nowadays internet services are being used everywhere: on your smartphone, your landline phone, your laptop and even an increasing number of home appliances. Today's service providers such as eBay, Amazon, Google and Microsoft therefore have to meet higher user requirements than ever. Questions like "Do all my services run as planned?", "How can my services be improved?", or "How can my services be made simpler to use for customers?" arise in this area.
In this seminar we will follow up on these questions in the area of operating complex IT-Systems by consulting selected research papers and recent textbooks including but not limited to current hot topics such as:
- Cloud Computing
- Virtualized Infrastructures
- Management of large scale computing clusters
- Big Data Analysis and Visualization
- Internet of Things
- Quality of Service, Software Defined Networks
- Fault Tolerance, Checkpointing
- and, related and emerging challenges regarding the design of Distributed Systems
Although there is no guarantee for acceptance, students may propose own topics covering the mentioned or related areas.
Bachelor students BSc-Inf and BSc-TI in 5th semester or higher, also Erasmus computer science students.
- Independently acquire, comprehend and reflect a scientific topic
- Write a scientific essay (5 pages, IEEE Style )
- Oral presentation of the topic (20 minutes presentation + 5-10 minutes discussion)
Literature and Further Material
Recommendations for literature and further material will be given individually at the beginning of the seminar (based on the elected topic).
Scientific writing and presenting: slides 
Kickoff-Meeting presentation: slides